Diagnosed with HIV? You are Not Alone.
Workshop “You are not alone…”
After years of supporting people living with HIV (PLHIV), we found that coping with the HIV diagnosis and living well with the infection as a chronic condition (self-management) are still major challenges for many. These challenges negatively affect not only the mental well-being of PLHIV, but also their sexual health, and to a large extents impacts their quality of life in general. We developed a culturally sensitive and context specific workshop to complement the multidisciplinary care PLHIV of African descent receive from HIV Reference Centres.
The workshop, entitled “Living with HIV, you are not alone” aims to improve the health-related quality of life of people living with HIV. More specifically, the intervention has the following objectives:
– Improving participants’ coping skills, including better understanding of their condition and dealing with their emotional needs in relation to their HIV status;
– Enabling participants to communicate about their HIV status in their family, social networks and sexual partners;
– Empower participants to make full use of existing HIV-related services, such as the support offered by HIV organisations and peer groups, and help them make informed decisions related to health including sexual health;
– Motivating participants to engage in health-promoting behaviours, including sexual health, continuing to take care of themselves, adhering to treatment, leading a healthy lifestyle and eventually (for those who are single) entering into new (sexual) relationships.
The workshop is organised at least once a year for a group of 8-15 participants. A scientific evaluation of the intervention is being conducted.
- Do you feel lonely and left alone to struggle with your problems?
- Do you want to get answers to some of your burning questions, including your sexual health, how to share your HIV status with family members, friend, (sexual) partners?
- Do you want to meet and share with other people going through a similar experience as you ?
- Are you looking for a place to share without fear of being judged ?
Then, this workshop is for you. In case you or a friend you know is are interested in participating in the workshop “You are not Alone…”, please contact:
Charles Ddungu , Tel: 032476481, GSM : 0479500398
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org